Sunday, October 22, 2006

Working Girl

I am 35 year’s old and I have never waited tables before. There is always a first and today was that day. Friends we have met have opened a diner. It’s not far from where we live in our local restaurant area. This area happens to be called French street.

The diner is called the Aloha. I think it is really cool that an Hawaiian restaurant is on a street called French Street.

Anyway today was there grand opening and they just needed some extra help. I waited tables, lots of tables. (The rest of the waiting staff are all local girls, some have broken English, some can speak English very well). So here I am, first day on the job. Lunch was crazy we had VIP’s everywhere so lots of sucking up to do. I know what you are thinking, I can assure you I was nowhere near the local VIP’s. I had the non VIP tables. I had a blast. I had so much fun. I didn’t know waiting tables could be so much fun. After lunch was finished it was 2:30pm. Time for us volunteers to have lunch, clean the tables and get ready for the dinner crowed. It started slow, really slow, we where worried that no-one was going to turn up. Our best customers were my family and every one loved being around the kids.

A little later the Restaurant picked up. I guess most people eat dinner later here. We had a blast anyway. The owner sang and played ukulele and their granddaughter danced with her Hawaiian skirt. It was awesome. I had such a great day.

I must admit I have a new appreciation for waitresses over all of the world now. It is hard to take orders, make sure they get their drinks, and ensure the kitchen staff make the food that you actually wrote down on the little piece of paper - which was written in Chinese characters by the way. Not that I wrote them but they were where I was meant to write the food.

I still enjoyed my 12 hour shift at the dinner. I am glad they don’t have grand openings everyday. I am sure I will be volunteering there more in the future. I didn’t spill food on anyone or brake anything. I guess until I do I will be there to lend a hand until they don’t need me anymore.Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Nicole & Mark said...

Fantastic practice for our arrival ... a mere 33 sleeps!
Have you got the girls practicing their foot massaging skills?

Can't wait to see you!!!
love and hugs and stuff
Your big sister
who has funded many a flight with the ole waitressing and bartendering skills!!!

Anonymous said...

I was there. That was one long day. Nice picture.

Anonymous said...

Are you putting all these accomplishments on your CV, Fi? One day it may be important that you have worked as a waitress!

Anonymous said...

A Hawaiin restaraunt called Aloha on French Street in Wuhan, China...that does sound like the beginning to a good joke.

Can't wait to see you!