Friday, August 18, 2006

traffic around Wuhan

The photo is typical of what can be seen as we travel around Wuhan. The guy on the motobike is waiting at the stop light and decided to have a smoke while he's waiting.
I have not started work yet but because the plant had a week of summer shutdown I was given a week to get adjusted and help Fi and the girls settle in. (I will start officially in the office on Monday.) Although I think Fi has adjusted already.
We took the girls to school this week and picked them up together just to help with the change but Delenn is really enjoying herself. She is still a bit apprehensive about going out to the shops, probably due to the large numbers of people. The trip to school from the hotel takes about 45 to 50 minutes so we have to leave pretty early in the mornings.
The funny thing is the trip would take 20min if the traffic flowed.
Road rules are the same here as most places in the world however the taxi drivers and some locals do decide to do the strangest things. Like a taxi driver stopping across two lanes to let someone out after he got halfway around a U turn, and then the passenger decides to take their time paying for the fare. OR Like when a ox drawn cart slowly ambles across the road. This means all the cars try and get around as well. They don't just wait but decide to try and get through causing more of a stoppage.
I think someone once said that traffic in Wuhan is like a living organism.

DanPosted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Dan. I like the 'living organism' bit! All the best with finding a house and starting work there again. Is the hotel near work or will your house be nearer work and school?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Dan. I like the 'living organism' bit! All the best with finding a house and starting work there again. Is the hotel near work or will your house be nearer work and school?