Thursday, March 08, 2007

Vacation in Thailand

In Hindsight this is quite interesting but worth a retell through the blog.

When we were travelling to thailand we had to fly through GuangZhou and had a 2pm flight from Wuhan to catch an 8pm flight in GuangZhou to Bangkok. We thought that the 4 hours we would be in GuangZhou would be enough. However when we checked in at Wuhan we found our flight was delayed. We waited and waited and there was no update on the screens. Many trips to the customer service desk and many phone calls to my translator who was in-turn talking to the travel organizer at work. After the time the flight was due to leave we checked with
the service counter and there was no one who spoke english (more than "Delayed. No time").

We worked out we had to leave by 5pm to make our connection. At 4pm we finally found out our original flight was cancelled although the board never did say that (the flight # just disappeared off the board). When they cancelled the flight we were standing at the counter and luckily the girl there asked us to follow her. We ended up at check in again and got our flight changed to one
leaving at 530pm. This gave us 1 hour in GuangZhou to get our connection, and we had to pick up our bags and check them in again.

Well we made it by about 5minutes to check in. They were just about to pack up. We then had to put our bags in at another spot because the bag conveyor was stopped. We had to clear customs and there was an hour wait so we went up to the front of the line and begged to be next. The official told us to go to the back but there was a foreigner in the front of the line who let us in.

We made our flight and had a great time.

On the way home after checking in in GuangZhou I must have dropped my passport. I only walked ten paces then realized and went back to the check in counter where the girl said
she had four passports but now I only had three. Oh no. I went to the police and they said the train is the only way to get home, I could not get on a plane. So after talking to everyone in China Southern where I checked in ( I swear it was on her counter ) we decided to try and talk
our way through and act like the foreigners.

While waiting in line a guy tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to follow him. He took me half way across the airport to another guy how had my passport. Maybe it fell onto the bag conveyor or something. Anyway I had never felt so relieved and vowed to keep the Aus Embassy number with me and keep copies of my passport in my wallet at all times. Lesson learned. If there is one thing I am greatful for it is the sense of Honesty in China.

So our trip consisted of a lot of good times and a few headaches but everything worked out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crazy!